Sunday, August 20, 2006

In Denver...

The last 150 miles or so had the cloudy rain give way to deep blue skies with puffy white clouds which made for a nice welcome to Denver. When I think of Colorado, I think mountains and snow. I guess I've never thought beyond the stereo-type. In fact, there are hundreds of miles of beautiful rolling fields in Colorado before you get to the mountains.

At the last fuel stop as I pumped the gas I watched two little boys (the youngest probably Grant's age) strolling along on two ponies. They were wearing blue jeans and cowboy hats and boots. The oldest was leading the way and looked over at me in my funny-looking space suit and tipped his hat and said "Howdy." I smiled and returned the greeting. My arrival picture:

Last night as I settled into the hotel, I planned to wake up first thing this morning and take the bike up to Rocky Mountain National Park. When I woke, I decided instead to give my backside a rest and chose to walk to Starbucks for a good cup of coffee. I walked around the streets of Denver looking like a typical tourist and snapping pictures of random things. Below is a sample...

I got quite a few shots of Union Station, I think it looked really cool with the deep blue sky...

And the "Rio Grande" train parked on the tracks behind it...





Just a block away was this Ice House/Creamery building. I thought it was a neat looking building.




I have no clue what this thing is supposed to be but was kinda neat it s just really big pole sticking up out of a platform.



Clock tower in the middle of the 16th Street Mall. This is a cool pedestrian friendly area with tons of shops, restaurants and a Starbucks every 3 blocks or so.

I have to work this afternoon but hope to make it to Rocky Mountain National Park this evening...

2 comments:

  1. Great shots...I will certainly need to give Denver a second chance. I love the picture of you in the hotel...it made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the conference over?? Are you going to Pike's Peak?

    ReplyDelete